Originally Posted by Dltalfa
Gracious……this transmission is going to be the death of me, LOL!! I have tried to drift out the reunions as outlined previously. However, the u-joint is actually slightly recessed inside the tail of the transmission. So, when I try to drift out the trunnion cap, it meets with the lip of the transmission tail and will not clear. I spent 6 hours trying to remove it today.

It doesn't appear that you have the compatible transmission bell for that type of u-joint. I marked up the pic that Dan posted to highlight the recess where the trunnion bearings have to go into. It's apparent that someone installed the engine/transmission as an assembly with the u-joint fully assembled and slid the rear yoke of the u-joint on the propeller shaft. Either that or they moved the axle back enough to clear the u-joint. There's a bolt holding the forward yoke of the u-joint on the output shaft of the transmission, which is accessed through the center of the u-joint.

I think the only way you'll get that out is to move the axle assembly back so it clears the u-joint. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and do what's needed. ohwell
Attachments


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.