I am responding to the title of this thread although it was moved to the Electrical Forum. If not appropriate, please delete.
For the most part, Sellers want to sell and may or not be an expert. Buyers want to buy, and may or may not be an expert. Ultimately, Buyers are responsible for their decision.
If you do this long enough you may stumble into a deal of a lifetime and come out on the winning end. And…at times may pay more and feel like you were taken advantage of or on the losing end; whether intentional or not.
Multiple trucks, tractors, motors, tools, and machines have come and gone. For each that have arrived in the yard I viewed them as a ‘kit’ and didn’t place or have high expectations. If it’s as described or better; then I am pleasantly surprised.
But, I learned to temper my expectations and do my best to reduce the errors in my decision making when acquiring old metal and things that go bang and have had a hard long life.
Conversely I do my best to describe what I sell but I can’t remember every misaligned thread, a past repair I may not have noticed, or a thin spot in sheet metal. This is old and worn stuff.
As some suggested here: find as much interest in the process of buying, keeping and fixing, and selling. There is as much value in the process of learning as there is in the ownership or acquisition of an old truck. After awhile your buying skills will improve and as your expertise increases you can trust your decision making skills more and place more trust on your knowledge rather than putting the responsibility on the seller. In the end - it’s the buyer that lives with their decision and is accountable for their research.
Either way - smile - this is a fun and interesting pursuit whether as an avocation or hobby.
Last edited by tom moore; 03/26/2023 6:49 PM.