LOL, what a bunch of slackers! I actually purchased and rebuilt a Sun Distributor machine a couple of years ago so I could rebuild my own distributors when Jim Linder retired. I sent one out to another person and ended up in distributor jail for quite some time. I just dont have that time to sit and wait. some things I am just stuck with. Machine work for example. Then there is Paint. I had an acquaintance of mine, not a friend, just someone I know very casually, recently brag about how much he paid for paint, just the paint and primer cost and not the whole project cost, when he had a 59 Apache painted. House of Color and all that. It was a couple thousand dollars. The whole job was in the tens of thousands. Good if you have that kind of money but how do you enjoy a truck like that. The worry over a single smudge would be enough to put me in the grave.

So like the Sun machine, I jumped right in and tried my hand at it. I had tinkered with home painting years ago and decided to give it another go. Turns out, the epoxy primers that are used today (I learned to use SPI) are way way better then old fashioned lacquer primer. The sprayable fillers like Slick Sand are way better then the old Nitro Stain (if anyone remembers that product), the base coats (I use a company called Urechem for paint. Direct sales to the end purchaser, good products, really good pricing), are much easier to spray then the old lacquer or even acrylic enamels (which are still good products), but the clears are really where it is at. They spray on pretty nice, and sand and polish out pretty well. Makes someone like me look half way decent. I don't know about anyone else, but being careful with the dollars has allowed me to stay in this hobby for well over 40 years So I try to do as much as I can myself but for some things, I think many of us are just stuck biting the bullet and farming it out.

Last edited by Dragsix; 03/23/2023 2:47 PM.

Mike