I have been playing around on drive train for some time and now that I am retired I will be deciding between
SM420 with tall pizza cutter tires using a 1955 rear end with 3.9 gears
OR
T5 -- with 0.73 OD gear and a 1955 open rear end with 3.90 gears.

I am leaning towards keeping the SM420

Since I am a closet nerd, I set up Google Sheets to compare drive train configurations.

I have updated it to what may help you (you can play with it) ...

Drive Line 1 is setup for T5 w/ 0.73 OD and 3.40 gears on 215/85R16
Drive line 2 is setup for SM420 w/ 3.55 gears on 215/85R16 (I am not sure if you have lower rear end gears in your tube rear end.


Stovebolt Question[/url]https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WdXVQvGFr0QUxVdHPDmwGrMwW9m7wMH0m8WvfxcIRUY/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited by Kilted54; 03/22/2023 3:08 AM.

1954 Std Cab 3100 w/ 2 spare Engines
IL
1954 three window 3100