Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret.
I believe the 3/4 & 1 ton had torque tube off the transmission & open drive shaft from the carrier brg. on back.
If the pinion brg has play in it the seal will not hold.

George
You are correct, George. I just checked the service manual.
My dad had a 51 GMC 3/4 ton as his shop truck and I remember it needing the rear end rebuilt, I vaguely recall the guy at the repair shop (fondly known as "Greasy Bob" wink ) using dad's pipe dope to check the gear pattern and turning the driveshaft at the end of the torque tube. Maybe GMC 3/4 ton's use the torque tube rear axle. ohwell I'm sure somebody with a GMC here at Stovebolt could confirm or deny that.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.