I was talking about the aluminum covers over the wheels, I was under the impression that you had not looked at the wheels and hub, I was not suggesting pulling the axles or differential cover.
What kind of brakes are on the front of your truck?
From your description, 8 lug with 10 bolts on the pumpkin cover, it is most likely an eaton 3/4 or 1 ton rear or a Dana 60 out of a later truck. If the chunk will drop out the front, its an Eaton.
If its a one ton truck, I'd say you could easily pull a cord on a trailer or carry a half cord on the flatbed if your brakes are up to the task. Hauling isn't a problem, stopping on the other hand...
Grigg, look at his truck in the Gallery, it has 16 inch wheels with 8 lugs, it looks to me as if someone dropped an AD cab on a later chassis.
Markk,
If you don't know how to post a link to a picture here, go to the FAQ and read the tutorial, it is much easier to show a picture than try to describe something as meaning can be lost in translation as above.