I guess for now, I'd prefer not to take the covers off; for me, at least, this is the first step down a slippery slope, which, after several steps wondering, "what's behind that", or "how does that work", leads to a big pile of parts and a non-running vehicle. That's why I was trying to go from the casting number. By the way, the hubs have a cast-in MW1 LZ. I'm thinking, based on the shop manual but no actual experience, that on the 1 ton, the covers are NOT simply covers, but are what transmits the torque from the axles to the hub. And if I managed to get a cover off, I'd be holding a cover plus an attached axle in my hand (could be wrong, but that what the pictures in the shop manual look like to me).
The information on the 2 ton with cable operated parking brake is intereting; I'd say for sure having calbe operated parking brake is not a determining factor.
8 lugs on the front wheels.
For what it's worth, 10 bolts on the rear-end cover (not exactly an unusual number for this part).
Don't suppose you can attach pictures to this post much like an e-mail attachment?