I've found over the years that NOS doesn't necessarily mean functional. You have to wonder why or how these parts have remained on the shelves for 40 or 50 or 60 years.
Perhaps the part was purchased and returned for being defective and just kept getting shoved to the back of the rack. In any event, electrical stuff is a crap shoot.
I purchased one of these brand new made by Standard. It's a rheostat type and has the added bonus of a light bulb in the knob that glows when it's turned on. The bulb is brightest at the highest fan speed and dims as the knob is turned toward slower speed.
It's infinitely adjustable from hi to lo without detents in between.
Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 08/30/20229:21 PM.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)