The power washer I use has a temp setting that can be adjusted for cool, warm or hot, I turn it all the way up. The engines I have washed out were on stands, crank, rods, pistons, and camshaft still in the block. I had little money to spend, this was the quickest and easiest way to get them clean, just add new gaskets and get them on the road or track. I never had one good bad because it was washed out.
Millions of engines over the years have been cleaned and overhauled in frame style. Years back, my dad drove seven of kids to my uncles house 3 hours away, we played for a day and half while he and the uncle overhauled the wagons engine. He drove us all home in the same wagon Sunday afternoon so he could get back to work on time Monday. The garage they worked in had a dirt floor!