If none of that works, you (or a locksmith) will have to pick the lock. I could teach you how, but I would imagine there are probably 276,000 explanations of this already on the internet. You'll need a tension wrench (just a flat piece of thin strong steel bent into a right angle) and a rake (some call it a pick) and a bit of patience. Good luck.

As for the weatherstrip, please don't buy stuff from anyone that is thicker than 1/2" at the thickest point...unless you like slamming your doors really hard. I don't know why, but someone out there decided to sell some 11/16" thick stuff that is close to the same profile as the original design...but is too thick by 3/16"...and you can't trim it unless you're capable of building some special skiving tool. The original GM stuff was exactly 1/2" thick and spongy. What Steele has is 7/16" (and a different profile from the original) but they're selling it as 1/2". I know this because one of the guys at The Filling Station and I worked on this for over 6 months before Steele admitted they were using a 7/16' die and that was the best they were willing to do. Last I knew it was about $5 per foot. Will 7/16" work? It will work ok, but it isn't the original style and at $5 a foot if I were running Steele I'd make sure it was the right stuff.

Here's the truth about it: any measurement greater than 1/2" becomes exponentially harder to close and by the time you're at 3/16" thicker, closing your doors will be really tough. The original GM product (which you could still purchase until around 1984) was perfect and as long as your hinges, locks and strikers were in good nick, you were good to go. Hinge condition is really important, adjustment is also important and the condition of your locks/strikers is also important. One other thing to keep in mind is today's weatherstrip (say made for something like a Toyota) is hollow and very soft and is just there to stop wind noise & water. Yesterday's weatherstrip also was used as an anti-rattle device to keep the doors from moving around and rattling so much...which they will do as the cab flexes. A very tight rubber will help with that, but you want to just catch that fine line before it gets too thick. If you want to check the door to body measurement, buy some Silly Putty and make a ball about 5/8" around. Once your doors are mounted and adjusted, set there where your weatherstrip will be and close the door...both latches of the door lock. Then open the door, remove the Silly Putty and measure the thickness. Good luck!


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end