Originally Posted by tclederman
How do you "take out the "switch" ("tumbler") if you do not have a key?
I have checked with several old-timer locksmiths but they all say that I have to remove the switch/tumbler with a correct key.
The correct key in-place allows a pin (paper clip) to be pushed down the hole in the face of the tumbler.
Supposedly, that allows the tumbler to be lifted out

I do not have a correct key for the rear door of my 1954 Suburban.
I have recently learned that the key-code can be seen on the "body" of the switch/tumbler housing.
So, as stated above, I must remove the tumbler housing to find the key-code.
HOWEVER, I cannot easily get to the tumbler "housing" in my Suburban

Does someone have another method/trick for getting out a tumbler when you do not have a correct key?

I know on my 46 it would be easier to remove the whole switch and let the locksmith deal with it. Not sure on the others.


1946 with WWII 270