I am trying to decide which fuel tank to pursue for my 1949/50 3600. I have seen several threads regarding using with a 1987 vintage Blazer 25 gallon tank or an early Mustang tank. I believe the Blazer tank is 28 3/4 x 28 1/8 x 10 3/4 and some have indicated that it hangs too low below the frame. I am not sure about the diemnsions of the Mustang tank.

My plan is to have the filler located in the fender rather than the bed. I have seen several threads regarding this arrangement and while it is more complex than coming up through the bed I think it is the approach I am going to take.

I am also hoping that the tank selection will still allow dual exhaust out the rear. I have seen at least one picture of a setup that had the exhaust going over the axle, then angled to be outside the frame to clear the tank, but I am not sure what tank was used.

I am planning to run a carburetor so no high pressure in-tank fuel pump, although a low pressure in tank pump might be desireable (otherwise an in-line electric pump).

If I understand correctly the 3600 rear frame may be slightly narrower than the 3100. I am planning to retain the original rear leaf spring suspension so I don't want to compromise the rear frame but I believe there is a simple angle cross piece that may have been for the spare tire that is not structual and could be removed.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals