I just want options and want to make best choice for myself, the truck and my kids who will be driving in a few years.
If kids will be driving it then I definitely would go with the 283. Just me, but I've been to that party and a small V8, a V6 or even a decent 4 is a good choice. I had a 283 in a 1958 Bel-Air when I was younger and while I wasn't hog wild about the engine I drove it all over the place playing piano in bars and clubs all up and down the Mexican border over as far as San Antonio and up as far north as Hobbs. No earthly idea how many miles I drove, but it only let me down once...when a timing chain broke. Fortunately that happened in the street next to my house. The only other problem was oil leaks. The early 283s had a real problem with the rear main seal. Good luck.