So I have been looking all over for replacement engines while local builder builds up a estimate to compare. He knows I am considering a complete replacement as well.
I am so confused as to what I am looking at to purchase and no places are calling me back to confirm. I have been told I need to find a pre 86 block so everything bolts up to it.
When I am looking at Jegs site I can find a listing for a pre 86, but then in the details it says 87 to 95. I have been looking at the valve covers in the pictures. I think pre 83 has bolts around the perimeter and post 87 has them across the top.
When I am looking at HP and TQ pre 86 seems to be lacking significantly.
Looking at Gandrud, GM performance, west coast engines, etc, they list small block, but everything seems to be post 87. I am using these sites to gather information for sites that have less information.
I have found a couple turn keys that really offer good bang for the buck once you factor in all bolt on accessories including a dist intake ps and ac pump, starter, and serpentine belt system etc, but they all seem to be post 87?
So will my rams horn exhaust manifolds, sm420, alt, etc bolt up to a post 87 block? If not can I adapt it easy enough?
If I repower I am not looking to go radical. I just want a 350 with 350ish hp / 400tq ish.