I have several 235 YFs and parts that I have been cleaning to send to Jon G (sorry I'm so slow Jon) and the the warnings about the fuel valves are "right on". I have seen valves made for Jeep 4 cylinder (too small). Valves with a retaining clip to the float. Valves that are way too big. Solid valves without the small spring and "tee". All this probably because of the kits we buy at XYZ parts store or sites on the Internet not having the correct parts inside. Compounding this is that Carter went out of business around 1984 and the good replacement parts have been history for a long time (Jon H. bought them all...big grin). The Carter buyout brings Federal Mogul then Weber then Edelbrock made parts. Then comes re-designs to make parts common to fit other carburetors to save manufacturing costs. We are trusting these companies to correctly provide what we need. Today we also have to worry about companies out-sourcing manufacturing to foreign businesses (Asia). This leads to Jon's warning of the possible need to "stake" our seats because of incomplete manufacturing process.
Today we have Carbking's trusted parts, but I'm guessing he doesn't make the valves himself, hence comes his experience and wisdom on what to select and use in his kits.
Attached is a picture of a selection of valves with a NOS original (no longer manufactured) on the far right for comparison. Notice the extended tube is gone and I have no idea of it's original purpose. The new needles now have Viton tips.
Last edited by buoymaker; 02/18/202210:42 PM.
"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use." "I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."