Started it up again tonight. There is no vacuum, which is likely why the brakes were not working. Seems to run really well. A bit of a bog off idle probably timing but I am not seeing a regular timing indicator marks on the crank pulley (not sure there is even a balancer on this engine?). The air cleaner hooks into the brake booster vacuum line (it look like a 3/4 or 1" hose running to it!). Not sure how exactly to seal up the air cleaner to get vacuum to build. I think the vacuum canister is next to the carb but not sure really, and it doesn't appear to be connected to the "manifold" the brake booster unit is connected to. I think If I can get the vacuum issue sorted the brakes may actually work!

Dump seems to work pretty well. There are 3 cylinders, one that does most of the work to get the box up the first couple feet, then two others that lift it faster take over.


Matt
1957 Chevrolet 6503
14' Grain Dump Box
More story in Big Bolts