Nothing like "necessity is the mother of invention"! Those old mechanic worked with whatever they had. You have to love it!

I know a good portion of the history of this truck and I am the 3rd owner. The Georgia Agricultural Department purchased it new in 1950 and it was sold to a local guy in 1952. He had the truck until 2014 when I purchased it from the owners grandson. The truck sat outside in a field for 30+ years not being driven, before I purchased it. The truck has 48,000 miles on the odometer and appears to be correct.

I have the truck torn down and only the cab is resting on the frame. It has been easy working on the differential with everything removed. If I have issues getting the propeller shaft into the torque tube, I will remove torque tube/differential.

I need to install a oakie bushing because the transmission drained into the differential. I used every tool available and could not get the front bushing out of the torque tube. This 1950, late build, does not have dowel pins locking the bushings and seals in the front of the torque tube and were pressed into place and impossible to remove with the shaft in place. I will see If I get lucky pulling or driving the front bushing out, now that the pinion has been removed.

I will keep you posted on my developments and we will prevail, one way or the other. Thanks for your help and suggestions!
Attachments
1950 Chevy 3100 Pickup a.JPG (63.64 KB, 96 downloads)

Last edited by rustedtreasures; 01/13/2022 9:27 PM.