Mike, I have the equipment to machine a milled head to work correctly, and 50+ years of experience making parts fit that were never intended to work together. I'm not suggesting that the average "bolt it together and hope it works" guy should attempt the stuff I do as a matter of routine. When the "hobby stock" round track class I was building engines for wouldn't allow the 64 CC "camel hump" heads on small block V8's, we simply took the 76 CC "smog" heads and angle-milled them .100" to get 60 CC! Then we milled the intake manifold flanges to match the slightly changed angle of the heads, and went out and won a bunch of races. Ray Charles could have caught the modification, as the edge of the head casting was noticeably thinner at the spark plug side, but all the dummies in the tech inspection line did was check casting numbers. Like Smokey Yunick used to say- - - -"It's only cheatin' when ya get caught!" I also had a way to dramatically increase the airflow through the Holley 7448 350 CFM 2 barrel carburetor they made us run!
Jerry