I am going to need to put in a couple patch panels when I get that far on my 58. There is an old body guy that lives down the road that has been giving me some advice and he insists that a stick welder is the only way to put patch panels in.

I have always had better success with a mig than with a stick welder, but I don't have any experience welding bodywork.

Is there a compelling reason to use a stick welder that I don't understand? My intention is to use a flanging tool so the panel and the patch overlap, then weld the pieces together.

If I do really need a stick, I can keep an eye out for a good deal on one.


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues