Libby, by maintaining all those old electrical parts, you are in for your 19th nervous breakdown. As you can see, it's already getting way too complicated trying to figure out and use parts that are probably burnt out, or will be burnt out, and then not available. Their performance and reliability is lousy. You are going to get really confused, especially if wiring is not your thing.
I don't know your goal as far as originality. I hope it does not include wiring. I can help you and save you a whole lot of trouble if you are willing to go 12V. It's simple and gets rid of all those goofy components and wires. Old wiring techniques/electrical systems are nothing to hang onto. Bad idea.
Also: What is the part number of the harness you bought? What motor is in it now?
I see you are putting in a 1958 235 in your 1946. That is a 12V era motor with a 12V starter. So you must already know about 12V conversion?????????
The 1939 wiring diagram on the Hardy site shows two "components" on/near the generator. Labeled "Field resistance" and "circuit breaker". Also shown in 37 but not 40. Some diagrams show a "Polarity Reversing Switch". All a bunch of clap trap.