Originally Posted by bartamos
Too long between your posts. You are moving too slow. If you got the cables at a known good vender, they are OK. You should use 0. 1 will work with a short cable. The mark you see is probably NOT the size. It's a tooling mark. Now answer some questions.

1. Is this GMC a positive ground system? I don't believe so. It had been changed to 12V before I bought it and the POS battery cable went to the starter and the negative battery cable went to the transmission cover.
2. Do you know what positive ground means? Yes, but again, it was wired negative ground and ran when I purchased so I kept it as such.
3. What is your positive battery cable attached to? Battery to starter post
4. Do you have a foot start starter? Yes
5. Who bench tested the starter? What kind of bench test? Just spin or a load test? I tested the starter to make sure it spun, didn't do any kind of load test.
6. Who rebuilt the starter. What is the vendor and part number of the starter. I rebuilt it. Had the original 1107055 starter on it. I rebuilt with new components but kept it 1107055.
7. How many coils are you using? 2, that's all it had when I took it apart.
8. What is your negative battery cable attached to? Battery negative post to transmission cover.
9. Are you saying that the motor rebuilder did not start the motor? If not, do you know how he timed it? He did not start it. I do not know how he timed it.
10. Have you checked the static timing? Do you know how? I have not, but good idea. Yes.
11. The "Tech Tip" you are using is not applicable to your situation. It deals with after it starts and fluid/fuel checks. You are not at that point yet.
Answer the questions and stay engaged with this post if you want help. Don't wait 5 days to answer. These questions are designed to start at the basic beginnings. Making sure we understand what you have. We will move to other areas and causes if needed. Answer carefully, completely. I will try! Unfortunately, I have no time to work on during the week, so I apologize.

Yes, when a starter can not turnover the motor and you keep trying, it will get HOT. So will the cables and the battery.