Well to put closure on this, I bought a new (reproduction) Rochester Monojet from an early 1970s application and bolted it on. Adjusted the air/fuel screw by vacuum guage.
Runs like a champ. Idles at 20 inches of vacuum. Ran it home from the cruise-in at 75 mph. Needs a large air cleaner for high throttle operation. I put on a 6-1/2 x 1-1/2 cleaner due to hood clearance but it needs more. So I ordered a 12" x 2" oval, which the longer dimension can run front to back and follow the crown of the hood. K&N filters website has a calculator to explain air filter size by cubic inch and RPM. Read that! You need more air than the normal little single filters you see. There is also the 3/8" vent on the bowl to contend with. I bought a small crankcase filter with 3/8" inlet for it. That seems to help with high throttle airflow as well.
For anyone reading this in the future, a single Weber 32/36 on a stock intake runs like a dream until about 55 mph. I ran 170/180 jets in it. Foot was on the floor and the butterflies wide open. Ran like a modern fuel injected car from 0-55 but thats all it had. Its just not big enough for a 235.