This is long-winded so my apologies, but maybe someone can learn from it. This is for my 1956 210 Sedan with 235. The car had a worn out Rochester 1BBL that leaked like a sieve from just about everywhere. The old Rochester ran pretty well and the car would run 75 mph with no trouble, but leaked everywhere. I talked to Tom Langdon about several upgrades including carburetor. I bought a Weber-style 32/36 kit from him and installed it. It started and idled very well out of the box, with very minor adjustments. Vacuum is a steady 17 at idle. Took the car for a test drive and it ran pretty decent but I "ran out of throttle pedal" at about 50mph. I talked to Tom and he thought the jets may be clogged with some debris. So I opened it up and the jets were clean. I jotted down the jet numbers to do more investigating. The jets were 140 primary and 150 secondary. So doing more research on the various forums, most people recommend much bigger jets for a 6 cylinder. So I ordered a variety of larger jets and test drove with a 170/180 set. Test drive reveals the car accelerates much better but I still top out at about 50-55 mph. The car runs very well, with acceptable power and acceleration for the 235s I've owned, but the pedal is on the floor at 50-55mph. It accelerates very well all the way to wide open throttle and it just "runs out of pedal". I triple-checked that the linkage is wide open at full pedal and it is.

I have read on here that the 32/36 is just too small and I am starting to believe it. Tom Langdon disagrees, but something is wrong. So I am debating between either a 38/38 or a suitable 1BBL. I do like the Weber style 2bbl performance otherwise. Has anyone ran a 38/38?


1953 GMC 1-Ton Pickup with 350 and 700R4