Now that I have my 51 3100 moving under its own power for the first time since I’ve owned it, and the first time in some 40 years....starting to think about what I might take to make it actually road worthy and license-able. Missouri has safety inspections so I have to put some effort into this.

I’m relatively familiar with various checks for front end play and what not.

But first thing I want to address is getting the old girl at least sitting level. Now that we have equal pressure in all tires and it’s positioned pointing “into” the garage....it definitely sits a bit low on the passenger side. I took measurements at all the wheel wells the other day but didn’t write them down. I think the high corner is the driver front. Both passenger sides are 1” to 1.5” low in comparison to the other side of the same axle.

Where do I need to go look first to diagnose this? See if there’s a broken leaf spring? Can shackles or shocks cause such a symptom? In all my time under the truck, nothing obvious has grabbed my attention. All the body mounting points look ok, so I think this is a suspension thing.


1951 3100