You may get a "whiff" slight smell if you go near the gas cap but the smell should not be strong.
You need a vented gas cap. Rather than guess, I replaced my cap.

I replaced my original tank with a Spectra Tank as well. I replaced or rebuilt everything from cap to carburetor.
The only gas smell for me is when the gas heats up, like on a hot day. The gas cap will vent a little bit.
It's worse after pumping at a gas station (underground tank) and then the truck warms up in the sun (gas expands in the tank).
I only fill about 3/4 tank so that it doesn't leak out onto the paint.

Did you replace the 3 hoses connecting to the tank? The old hoses are known sources of gas smell.

Rochester's are known leakers externally but can also leak internally as well (fuel bowl drains overnight).
Hard to start in the morning.
The best solution in this case is to replace with a Carter YF as long as you get the recommended model.

A small drip of gas can fill a room with gas smell. That pungent smell is on purpose to bring attention to a problem.
I put my truck up on jack stands and got underneath with a creeper and a flashlight.
Sometimes you can feel a small leak by wetness on your fingers.


"Adding CFM to a truck will only help at engine speeds you don't want to use."
"I found there was nothing to gain beyond 400 CFM."