I recently replaced brake lines and fuel lines using Cu-Ni tubing and have the cheaper style of flaring tool (Imperial, which is the best of these types) instead of the higher priced hydraulic kits. My initial flares were failing at a rate of 50%. I found that while I did the initial flare, that if the cone wasn’t perfectly centered over the tube, the flare would be a bit heavy on one side which would fail. My mistake was assuming the cone would center itself, but it didn’t center the part that goes around the anvil (tube clamp). Once the cone makes contact, recheck to make sure its perfectly centered will assure that you make good flares. Now I make nearly perfect flares every time!
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum