I think I have covered all of the bases now, and I am still at the same place: the gauge comes up just about a 1/16" when I turn on the ignition = empty. Specifically: 1) I have grounded the gauge as Phaq1 has suggested, no change when I turned on the ignition, 2) I Attached a Ground cable to the sending unit and grounded it to the base of the cab as Stan indicated, no change when I turned on the ignition. (this was new as there was no ground wire at all before) but still no change. Checked and tightened all wiring to the instrument panel including adding a bolt on the instrument cluster housing that was missing. Pretty sure everything is now as it should be, but no change in the fuel gauge response.
So, it looks like, based on all of your help in diagnosing, the sending unit seems to be the culprit? I shall order it post haste and reply again after I have received and installed. Thanks for all you help so far! Dale