D- Yes, they pulled the cam shaft and said it was in near new condition, so they didn't put in the new one I took them in case it needed it. Per dropping the pan, I'm sure they did or they wouldn't have been able to pull the timing cover due to the two lower bolts being inside heading out. Per whether they pulled the crank, or stabilized it, I have no idea, but I'll find out next week. Good lord, I hope they did, because I told Andy (the shop owner) that the main reason I was hesitant to do the job myself was that I had heard from a couple guys on this forum about the possibility of driving the cam shaft in too far and screwing up the rear seal. With 30 years as an Ironworker, and the 10 before that as a shop welder, I've spent half my working life pounding the crap out of steel with 4 and 6# beaters. The idea of smacking that shaft a bit too hard, when hard is how I smack steel, I figured I would certainly mess it up, and it wouldn't be just the timing gears that would need fixed. So I hope the hell they didn't do that. And how would I be able to tell if it was hit too hard?? (One of Andy's men has experience with these motors, so he had an employee change them out, but I did send the shop manual with the truck and parts, so he had a reference book). So I hope the hell they didn't do that. And how would I be able to tell if it was hit too hard if it was? But I will be talking to Andy and his man next week to see exactly what and how they did it. Thanks for the help, Mike.
Jerry-It was converted to 12 volt before I bought it. Although I rebuilt the generator (brushes were half gone, literally), the starter has never been an issue yet. But I was wondering about that, too. It's 8:30 at night and about 20* out on the curb, so I'll have to get out there tomorrow and try the starter. I'm sorry to say that just the other day I was showing somebody how the starter will crank without the ignition on (to show how I make a fool of myself sometimes when I try to start the truck but forget to turn the key on, then after a minute realize the key is off. duh. But I can't remember now how it sounded. But I'll check. So, somebody educate me here. The ignition timing- is that not the same as the 'timing' of the timing gears? Steve said the timing was good. I may be ignorant of what you're talking about. If I've never had a problem with something, it's new to me. What's the difference?
I actually just picked up a mechanics stethoscope a couple of weeks ago. Guess it's time to put it to use. The last time I went out and tried to start it, it wouldn't start. Since school had just gotten out not long before I went out to do it, there were teachers heading out to the parking lot. And I absolutely hate it when I'm working on something when I've got an audience and it isn't going right. (I'm still mad at my wife for talking me into buying this place in town. I belong where I'm not within sight of any human being. Living in any city limits is a form of torture for me.) So the bomb has sat out there all week untouched.
We live in Park Hills, Missouri, formerly Flat River until they decided to make one big poor former mining town out of 4 little poor mining towns. St. Joe Lead mining use to have the biggest lead mine in the world here, but they closed the mine in the 70's and this once prosperous area dried up when they left. At least we have an 8,500 acre state park here now. (St. Joe/Doe Run Lead gave the property to the state of Missouri to get out from under the taxes when they pulled up stakes) St. Joe State Park is the dirt biking, 4 wheeling mecca of southeast Missouri and east Illinois. Speaking of Jonesboro, I worked on a glass factory smelter down there about 15 or 20 years ago. It's about 200 miles from here. I think it was a 3 hour drive when we went down for that job. (I got highway pay, so I remember that).
Last edited by showme; 01/30/2021 3:12 AM.