I've owned a few Detroit Diesels and they all marked their spots . A couple of 671 inline's that consumed oil but I doubt they were burning it , it most likely lubricated the under carriage . The last truck had a 6V92 that had been rebuilt at Harpers , a Detroit Diesel expert , and it marked its territory as well , I asked the rebuilder about this and was informed that Detroit used only cork gaskets to better filter the oil on the way out .
At one point I helped a friend pull an old dump truck out of a field that had been there for an unknown amount of years . I Towed him with a chain a few miles to his quarry , and while being towed he put it in 5th gear and let out the clutch and by the time we got where we were going the 6 v 53 was running . He ran that thing for a little over 2 years around the quarry until the box fell off . I never asked how much oil it used but I'm sure he did use some .

John


good planning is no substitute for dumb luck