In the late seventies I drove a Cornbinder cabover from Yakima, Washington to Neena, Wisc. to Linclon, Ill. and return to Seattle once a week. The rig was powered by a 350hp 8V-71. Every third trip it went in for service. It blew out or burned 1 gal. oil per thousand miles. Being a refer trailer hauling fruit, I had to climb up on the greasy, oily frame rails to push the defrost button on the refer unit a couple time a day. Every-other time I added a gallon of DELO oil from one of the cans lashed to the frame. There was no deck plate. I don't know which was worse: oil or ice. I quit that job before I broke a leg. A sign in the driver's room said "Do not cross ANY Wisconsin scale loaded.


1951 3800 1-ton
"Earning its keep from the get-go"
In the DITY Gallery
1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.