Sorry to once again butt in here with stupid questions .. (AKA, the cold hearted Reality Fairy) but ...

As the guy who sits in the driver's seat of this web site and forum, I've heard a LOT of suppositions over the last 25 years from guys/experts who are chasing the same unobtainium -- faster speeds out of a big truck with the 216 (i.e., "I want to stay as original as possible but still get highway speeds).... i.e., "IF you do this ... If you try that ... If you do some other rube goldberg cobble up thing ... you can have your cake and eat it too."

What I have *yet* to hear is any definitive and documented feedback from someone (anyone) who has done something (anything) to make a big truck with a *216* (not a 283, not a 235 or any other higher torque/higher HP engine) be able to drive at modern speeds (and hold them, even on hills and accelerating with traffic) on modern roads and be satisfied with the results. Not ONE. In 25 years!

Heck, I tried this with a 1-ton and couldn't do it (tall tires, 4.10 gearing. Didn't try an aux OD but I can't see as how it would have made any difference). I gave up on the 216 and went to a 261 and life has been great ever since.

As many of you never fail to point out, I am no technical expert on any of this. Got it. You may feel free to move on to a new topic. However, I am not completely dense, either -- I see and read most of what crosses this web site over the years. And from what I read, I have come to conclude that making a bigger truck with a 216 enjoyable in modern traffic on modern roads at modern speeds is not possible within the bounds of our current understanding of Physics and Thermodynamics. It is a waste of time, money and effort to try. And I think we do a real disservice to the hobby to even speculate on ways to do it.

Bottom line -- If you want to make the 1-ton or larger truck enjoyable/driveable you have to lose the 216. Disagree?? Show me some proof.


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)