Oh. The fuel. 
The truck with new tires, an oil change and grease job, drives like new, handles well and is so nostalgic I drive with a smile for about a 50 or so miles before the quarter of tank of gas needs to be filled.
Of course, it never occurred to me that MAYBE the 50 year old tank had not had more than a few gallons of gas in it for YEARS. Yep filled it full and drove about two miles back out to the country before it clogged the carb filter.
I limped it home and almost for sure knew. I pulled the fuel line from the pump and cranked, rusty and kinda sandy gas dripped into a quart container. Okay. A new tank and a couple fuel lines and carb work rebuild will be in order, About two weeks later, it is like new.
I am here to tell you that ethanol is a pretty good rust remover and maker in old metal stuff not being used a lot ... just like they say.
Rubber stuff was all replaced, too. I put a shiny new cap on the new tank and kept the original body paint color one for posterity.
The tank and lines were pretty easy. Once the seat was out, I found the cab corners were PERFECT and not a hint of rust. The ORIGINAL cardboard tank cover behind the seat with factory yellow (Ochre) over spray still on it was carefully removed and reused.
I replaced the fuel pump originally (another post) but the rebuilt Rochester Monojet carb kept flooding and after several tries, I realized the new pump was the problem. Too much Chinese pressure I learned. Cleaned the original up and pumped lots of clean gas through it before hooking up and good as new!
It is running like 1971 again and every time I take it out, somebody smiles and waves. The young guys want to hot rod it and slam it but I still like it in spite of the long bed and straight 6.
My age group marvels at the original condition and tell stories about the old 6 cylinders they had or drove. Some folks want a lesson on the 3 on the tree deal and it is amazing how often it is the topic of discussion.
It will stay in the survivor mode for now. It made it this far and is appreciated just like it was and is.
