I replaced all mine with new springs from St. Lois Spring for the same reason as HandyAndy - the shorter leaves had worn into the longer leaves. I also got the u-bolts and nuts from them. The springs came with new bushings installed. I got the fronts one summer when visiting my folks near St.Louis and the rears the next summer. I called them with the order in the morning and picked them up that afternoon. Very good service and quality!
Samantha
Another vote for St. Louis Springs. I have had a lot of old trucks and my 52 is the first one I did all new springs on. I never knew these trucks could ride so well.
I’ll check them out for sure! I haven’t had a chance to check out the local shops yet in person, but if it’s still cheaper with St. Louis Springs, I’ll be giving them a call.
Bret it dawned on me last night that one possible rescue for your old springs might be to use spring liners. If the inner parts of the springs are not too pitted, liners might get you by. Spring liners can be Teflon, HDPE, LDPE or other poly compounds. I like the lipped ones because they stay put. Here is an example of the width you need:
https://tinyurl.com/y4ur8oro Just a thought.
Thanks Jon! I’m planning on getting those springs out sometime this week. I’ll take a look at the insides and see if I can get by for a while with liners. I’ve been pleasantly surprised so far with how the chassis looks after cleanup, so I’ll post an update with what I find out.