According to what I just read, you can't mix DOT 5 with anything else, as it's silicone based, as opposed to glycol based. It was developed for use in applications that may have high moisture intrusion, such as military.
To confuse things more, DOT 5.1 is glycol based, so could be mixed with DOT 3 or DOT 4.
I would flush everything out and use DOT 3 or DOT4. Even my wife's '13 Escape specifies DOT 4. I'm don't know of any vehicles that specify DOT 5.
The latest isn't always the greatest.
This is an interesting read.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.