Originally Posted by sdhotrod
sorry typo.. its a original 54 with auto trans and I have a 55 235 to go into it.. what I need to know is if the auto engine is any different than the manual trans engine.. Thanks, Ben
No difference mechanically, the only thing that would be different is the engine serial number.

The flywheel is part of the hydra-matic transmission. The torus cover bolts to the flywheel.
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/1929_57chevyparts/57cmpc0328.htm

You should ID the 1955 engine to make sure what you have.

I'm don't remember for sure, but I think the manual transmission uses two flywheel housing alignment dowel pins in the engine block.
Where as the hydra-matic transmission uses three flywheel housing alignment dowel pins.
If you separate the transmissions from the engines let us know how many dowel pins there are.
If you could post a picture of the dowel pins on both engines, that would be great.

This link is aligning the manual transmission housing.
Page 1
Page 2
After reading it looks like there are three flywheel housing alignment dowel pins used in the engine block for the manual trans.