We can't let it die. S' a great thread.
Twenty years ago my wife and I took the 51 1-ton with camper (9,000 lg. gross) to Alaska from Seattle via the Cassiar Hwy rather than the Alcan. We got as far north as the arctic circle - 500 miles of gravel road north from Dawson City, Yukon and return, then to Eagle, Circle, Fairbanks then to Anchorage. I took the usual set of wrenches and screwdrivers etc. and for spare parts I took a fuel pump, water pump, fan belt, front wheel bearings, spare spring leaves front and rear, various light bulbs, a head gasket set, stop leak and a spare radiator cap. I may have forgot about some things.

Between Moose Junction and Dawson, it started running rough and lacking power, like it does when one gas tank goes empty and it's time to switch tanks. So I switched tanks and the problem went away. Whew! But only about about 5 gallons left on that tank and 50 miles to Dawson. The one thing I hadn't thought to bring was a spare fuel filter and that was the problem. Switch back to the big tank for down-hill runs, then back to the cab tank for the flats and up hill. We made it. The NAPA store in Dawson City had a filter so I swapped it out. The old filter appeared to be plugged with white goat hair. I kept it for a souvenier. We'd bought gas last at the bulk plant in Whitehorse. I used none of the spares I'd brought in 6,000 miles of mostly gravel road.

We passed several modern rigs sitting by the side of the road. We helped where we could. One had tire trouble (helped mount the spare), one had a mouse hole eaten in a radiator hose (duck taped it), one was waiting for a computer board to come from Vancouver (shrugged my shoulders) and one had run out of gas 20 miles short of the one truck stop on the way to Inuvik, another 250 miles north (siphoned 5 gal from the big tank).


1951 3800 1-ton
"Earning its keep from the get-go"
In the DITY Gallery
1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.