So the 4G26 date code is July 26, 1954. The part number 1112396 corresponds with a 1954 with automatic transmission. So it’s a 54 dizzy, although very late in the production run. The 54 models ended their run at the end of August 54, factory retooled in September, with the first 55s rolling out September 30, 54. So if the date code was say August of 54, would have been a 2403 distributor for the 55 run.

That being said, the early 55 pick up trucks were essentially 54s I believe. What I don’t know is how long the first series were made before the second series 55 started down the line. I also don’t know if the first series 55 trucks used a 54 motor or the 55 motor with the 2403 distributor. While I know the truck line did have an automatic trans option, don’t know if that was available for all trucks. So while I am fairly certain it’s a 54 distributor, it may be an early 55 first series truck distributor.

Your distributor uses the following advance curve:

0-2 degrees of advance @375 rpm
4-6 @700 rpm
9-11 @1350 rpm
12-14 @1750 rpm

You can use one of two vacuum advances

1116043- starts at 7 to 8.5 inches of vacuum and full advance is at 18.5 inches, the max advance when the vacuum advance is needed is 10 degrees.

1116076- starts at 4-6 inches of vacuum to get it started, full advance at 7.5-10 inches of vacuum, the max advance when the vacuum advance is needed is 7.5 degrees.

If you are tinkering, take the point plate off and make sure the advance weights are free, the springs are in place and the pins the springs are hooked to are tight. If there is a lot of gum, you can spray some carb cleaner and get it cleaned, then lightly oil the weights.

Uses the earlier short distributor cap 824735 (D-301) and the earlier pre 55 points, 1918148.

Points are set to .016, plug gap is .035. I don’t know what AC plugs you would use as I don’t have an ac catalogue. I have a champion chart because I run champions and so J12y or the modern equivalent j12yc or rj12yc for a resistor plug.
Attachments
DE79E06B-2260-4F55-9B01-EA8CFB48013D.jpeg (182.64 KB, 125 downloads)
DBA81D00-5E12-4F0D-ADE5-85699BADAB57.jpeg (288.59 KB, 119 downloads)

Last edited by Dragsix; 05/07/2020 2:10 PM.

Mike