Hi There

I am getting ready to fire up this 235 after sitting for 25 years, and i think i have all my ducks in a row with the exception of timing. I understand that the pointer lined up with the BB is TDC at #1, and i am looking for a good starting number/procedure to set initial, and a number to set total. I know there is a risk of great debate here for optimal performance, but i am looking for some base numbers just to run and assess this engine before it gets pulled, and resealed and painted.

I have a good Snap-On 12 volt adjustable light with rpm, and was thinking to hook it to a separate 12 volt battery, and then to #1 plug wire, as my system is 6 volts. Once i have it running:

1- with vacuum advance disconnected, what should my initial timing be, and at what RPM?
2- What should my total mechanical be, and when should it be all in?
3- and what should my total mechanical, and vacuum be, and when should it be all in?


Also, is there a straightforward procedure for getting this initially started. I am more familiar with the SBC, and SBF set ups, and I think the flywheel BB may be throwing me off a bit and causing me to overthink this a tad....lol

Thanks in advance
Jeremy


1955 3600 father and son project