I'm sick of trying to fix my boat anchor 235. It's getting water in the oil somehow. Pulled the head and shaved it perfectly flat, and still gets water in. There's got to be a crack somewhere.

Anyway, I like the cool vintage looks of the stovebolt engine, and many people have gotten respectable power out of them, especially the bigger cube stovebolts.

Anybody here have any 292's that are "souped up"? Can you comment on them, how they perform and how much they cost you to build up? And if you don't mind giving up a few secrets, what have you modified that made the biggest difference (i.e., where did you get the modern camshaft?)

It's got to be either a 292 or a 302 for me, if it's going to be a Stovebolt. And if I can't get one of those, I'll be making the jump over to a V8.

Thanks.


52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup
68 Big Block Vette
68 455 Firebird