If noise is easy to duplicate, find a safe place you can coast with engine off. Roll with transmission in gear, clutch depressed. Release bearing will not be rotating but input shaft will rotate in pilot bushing.
Thanks, that's excellent advice. Since the noise is intermittent, no noise under those conditions won't rule anything out but noise will implicate the pilot bushing area. I will try this today. I probably should have been able to figure that out on my own but didn't. That's why this forum is so useful. If it turns out this is a pilot bushing problem one explanation for why it was quiet for 2000 miles after changing the throwout bearing is I lightly greased the input shaft when replacing the transmission. I am aware that the mileage isn't really a factor in either case but how often the clutch is released but the mileage is the only data point I have. Any additional ideas or advice are encouraged.