| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,182 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 554 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2009 Posts: 554 | I was trying to respond to a post with the same title and when I hit reply it said post deleted. Anyway I have a similar problem and was replying hoping for some input since this very troubling to me.
I also have a 1952 3100 235 engine with a similar sounding problem. I thought it was the throwout bearing which was brand new when I first assembled the truck. Everything was fine for about 2000 miles. Then it starting making intermittent noise when fully depressed but there were places in the pedal travel that no noise occurred. Seemed worse when cold. I replaced the throwout bearing with a NAPA made in USA bearing. It didn't feel any different in the way it spun in my hand than the one I removed. The rotating parts fit together close enough that I couldn't see how you could push additional grease into either one.
The second throwout bearing seemed to correct the problem for another 2000 miles but I am once again getting the intermittent noise. I made sure there was sufficient free play in the clutch linkage and both bearings were not in contact with the pressure plate with the clutch released. The problem occurs more often at first startup but can occur at other times too. Most embarrassing when at at stoplight and the driver across from you is just saying nice truck when this horrible noise erupts. I can get it to really make noise when downshifting unless my speed is very low. It rarely makes noise when upshifting.
The pilot bushing was new when I assembled the truck. The SM420 trans was rebuilt and the nose of the input shaft was clean without and burrs. I have wondered if it could be the pilot bushing making the noise but I can occasionally get the noise depressing the clutch with the trans in neutral. I would also appreciate any input about this problem. It is very discouraging to have this occur in an otherwise completely rebuilt truck. I am not up to the task of laying on my back and pulling that extremely heavy transmission out by myself again. The couple places that do manual transmission work in my area may have someone knowledgeable about working on these trucks but the people answering the phones do not give me any confidence when they do not seem to even understand what a torque tube is. | | |
| |
| |