Hopefully you got this fixed but if not make sure the dwell is set properly. You need to make sure that the points are fully closed and that they fully open when they are supposed to. I am no expert either but I had a similar problem that kind of happened out of no where.

I was pulling my hair out checking all kinds of different things and the adjustment was slightly loose I guess and the points "looked" like they were functioning (opening and closing) properly but they were not. They looked closed but they were like .00001 open when they were supposed to be closed. It was crazy but you have to check with a volt meter as you turn the distributor watching the voltage react when the points open and closed.

There is actual equipment that a real mechanic will use to test this but for average joes like us you just gotta do what you gotta do.


Frank
1948 5 Window Chevy 3100 an absolute rescue that is now back on the road
1953 Buick Super 1 family owned since new
1956 3200 Big Window
1985.5 Mustang SVO
1986 Mustang SVO