Sorry guys, and gals, I did a search of this site and still cannot find a definitive answer. And not all of the vendors agree: How were the vehicle (body) serial number plates/ identification plates attached to the door pillar in the various years? I'm talking Chevy A-D series trucks. Both of my 1950's had the plate attached with two small rusted Phillips head screws in opposite corners, that I have no doubt were original. Some have reported that clutch head screws were used in some years. Starting in 1952 (53?) hollow rivets were used. I actually don't remember how the plate was attached in my 55.1 that I bought in 1989.
Has anyone published a guide to this info?
I know we have discussed VIN's and serial numbers and titles ad nauseam, but how can I tell if the plate is original/ correct. I'm pretty sure if I see a plate attached with shiny new pop rivets that it's not original, which I have seen.
Thanks all.