Hello everyone...need some help to solve a bit of a mystery....
I own a Canadian built 1952 GMC 9430 1 Ton (been in the family since new)...I plan to restore the vehicle to as original as possible in a few years and have begun researching and gathering information for this purpose...the mystery I am trying to solve is regarding the paint code which on the data plate shows SP 2012 (this number is even written in grease pencil under the hood). Old color photos show it to be a lighter blue color almost dusty blue. There are still traces of the original paint color on the firewall hidden under 6 decades of farm dirt oil and grease. Of note the truck was repainted a dark blue color in the early 80s...but traces of the original paint are still showing in places...
Like the post above I got a report for my vehicle from Vintage Vehicle Services in Oshawa Ontario but the paint code showed unknown...I called them to inquire and they told me that the paint code was a special order code and that there probably is no record of it. They suggested that my vehicle may have been part of a fleet order but never delivered, and the vehicle was sold to the public. What is also interesting is the wheel striping, which has a single white stripe around each of the 17" rims, from what I have read from the factory this should have been a double stripe.
Since there doesn't seem to be any record of paint codes for the CDN built GMCs I will have to try and match as close as possible with US built GMC truck paint codes from 1952 and it seems to me that Cumberland Blue would be closest....
Looking at the photos has anyone ever seen this color in a CDN built advanced design before ?