Originally Posted by miraclepieco
It seems the small block vs LS debate lines can be drawn at a specific age demographic. One, older guys to whom computerized engine monitoring is mysterious and arcane, and two, younger guys who think carburetors are mysterious and arcane. In most cases, neither group knows much about the other side. I am an exception in that I'm familiar with both types of motors, and to keep things simple and inexpensive I chose a small block for my current build for the following reasons:

I think I'm right in that age bracket too. I learned the EFI side of things going to school, carb side from my old man. I'm probably the youngest guy I know that can still rebuild and tune a Q-jet and have success. Even put injection on my 78 K10. People try to stay in their comfort zone. A lucky few of us are comfortable with both sides.

To the OP....seeing what you want (more power, better handling, brakes, etc) I would suggest finding a running S10 Standard cab long box with a 4.3...either carbed or injected. Seems to fit almost everything you are looking for with the least amount of mixing parts and expense. This method would require a set of fabrication skills to redo mounts and what not. www.code504.com has a kit you can purchase that contains all the needed mounts and such for a "bolt on" swap. With a good set of fabricating skills you can just watch their vid and see pretty much what you have to do.

So what are you comfortable with? Answer that and stay within or at the edge of your skillset and your pocket book can be your guide.


Chris

Too many to work on
4 bolts, 2 square bodies, 4 GMT400s...and those are the keepers