You want different and some power, install a Ford 300 L6, that'll turn some heads LOL....

I ran an Astrovan full of tools & eqt for well over 100k miles powered by a 4.3 Votec V6 and it never lacked for power. I've always thought that engine and drivetrain combination would be a very capable powerplant for any antique project too.

Just did limited budget V8 conversion in my 49 GMC, 300HP 350, TH350 tranny and 80's model rear (unknown ratio at this time) and it gets 15 mpg, will run all day long on the interstates and starts and runs great hot or cold with it's AFB clone 4bbl, all in for under $900.
( granted I already had the tranny, driveshaft and rear so the majority was spent on the SBC). I'd have loved to have done an LS and plan to one day but I doubt one could do a 100% LS conversion for under $2000......

It all depends upon how deep your pockets are, LOL.
Good luck
Dave