Originally Posted by coilover
I hate those LS engines too and the only time I use them is when I want 435hp, 25mpg, and 300,000 miles. Other than that they are junk.

It seems the small block vs LS debate lines can be drawn at a specific age demographic. One, older guys to whom computerized engine monitoring is mysterious and arcane, and two, younger guys who think carburetors are mysterious and arcane. In most cases, neither group knows much about the other side. I am an exception in that I'm familiar with both types of motors, and to keep things simple and inexpensive I chose a small block for my current build for the following reasons:

My old carbureted small block 4.3 in my DD is closing in on half a million miles with nary a head off, whereas I was constantly chasing "Check Engine" lights with my computer motor - which invariably demanded the services of a shop, a technician and a plethora of test equipment. Not to mention LS motors are U-G-L-Y. To improve the looks guys are dressing them up like - ironically - small blocks. I give it to you that LS motors are efficient, but with the complexity of sensors and wiring they're not nearly as reliable, foolproof or roadside repairable as a small block. One sensor out and the system shuts down, whereas with a SB it results in, "Hey, does it sound like it's running a little rough to you?"


1951 Chevy Panel Truck