As an additional update:

I took the battery in to be tested at an autoparts store and it came back as a good battery. After doing the testing below, I removed the starter push button solenoid on top of the starter motor exposing the contact. I ran jumpers direct from the battery to the contact, I got the faintest whir and then nothing. When it was tested in the garage/bench test it spun up to full speed. I'm wondering if the starter motor is just shot. Correct me if i'm wrong, but there are no inline fuses to be worrying about in the starting system, so I'm running out of ideas quickly.


Do this:

Turn the key off.

Put the red lead of your meter directly on the + post of the battery (not the battery cable).
Put the black lead of your meter directly on the - post of the battery (not the battery cable).

What is the voltage reading? Call it reading A. 6.34

Turn on the key.

What is the voltage reading? Call it reading B. 6.29

Turn on the headlight switch.

What is the voltage reading? Call it reading C. 6.16

Turn off the headlight switch.
Have some else mash the stomp starter.

What is the voltage reading? Call it reading D. 6.11

Turn the key off.

Put your the red lead meter back on the starter post and the black lead to a good ground.

What is the voltage reading? Call it reading E. 6.32

Turn on the key.

What is the voltage reading? Call it reading F. 6.26

Turn on the headlight switch.

What is the voltage reading? Call it reading G. 6.15

Turn off the headlight switch.
Have some else mash the stomp starter.
What is the voltage reading? Call it reading H. 6.29

Last edited by Montana 54 Chevy; 06/16/2019 4:34 PM. Reason: Rechecked and updated Reading E to 6.32