Hi folks — looking for a little help with some front brake issues on a 1954 4100. Sorry if this is a repeat, been having posting issues.

Just some quick background — the truck originally had a “grabby” front driver side brake. I disassembled both front brakes, finding newly lined shoes, turned drums with virtually no wear, and new cylinders. The driver side front brake was excessively tight — it required 2 hands to turn the wheel. I properly adjusted the brakes, now it does not grab but it sure does squeal! Sounds like metal on metal — very loud screech. Truck brakes beautifully — in fact it feels like it has too much brake. Need to go gently on the pedal, very easy to lock the wheels up.
So now I am trying to correct the squeal/screech. I know I might be looking at re-lining the shoes in case of contamination. I would like to try a couple tricks if you can suggest any prior to doing that. I have a local antique truck show on Saturday that I would like to attend — just do not want to drive truck if it is unsafe.
Here is the kicker… take a look at attached photo. I’ve never seen the shafts on wheel cylinder pistons on an angle like mine are. Has me thinking either the cylinders are wrong, or the shoes are wrong. Previous owner did tell me the wheel cylinders were replaced but they could not get proper ones for a 4100. Does anyone think the wheel cylinders could be the issue? Passenger side brakes just fine, and looks the same.
On the topic of wheel cylinders, are the Raybestos WC19090 and WC19091 suitable replacements for this truck? I do understand that the inlet angle from brake hose is different from original, but hose has plenty of slack for that.

Thanks for any help and wisdom you can impart on me!


[IMG]https://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i397/stouchton/4100%20brakes.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by stouchton; 06/12/2019 5:34 PM. Reason: typo