A 235 rod I've got handy measures 1.245" wide. That's probably the same as a 261, except for the wrist pin diameter. It looks like some adapting would need to be done on the journal to keep the BBC rod from flopping around like a catfish on the bottom of a johnboat! I made a steel spacer for each side of the 292 rod cap that attaches with flathead 4-40 screws and then gets silver soldered to the cap. Then the rod gets reconditioned to be sure it's straight and true.
Now- - - - -before we get our knuckles rapped for "thread drift", maybe we should continue our hotrodding talk somewhere else! I just picked up a 261 that didn't survive a break-in run after a pretty good rebuild for some reason, and that one's about to become a test bed for some modifications. Other than needing a crankshaft, it looks like the rest of the short block survived pretty well. Obviously, it's going to get torn down to bare bones and thoroughly inspected first.
Jerry